String Hoppers, commonly known as idiyappam, are very usual for our breakfast. But we wouldn’t have tried the stuffed version of these string hoppers.
Do you know that these so called idiyappam were first originated in Srilanka? Yes! It is. And these stuffed string hoppers are made with coconut, jagery and sugar which will be a delight for those with an extra sweet tooth.
But this one is more like a meal, stuffed with chicken and spicy gravy. We can have it for breakfast or can even serve it as a snack.
So, go on and try it out.
For the filling:
500 gms Chicken breast
2 cups Onion.
3/4 cup tomatoes
3 green chillies slit
3 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 tablespoon Chillies flakes
1/2 teaspoon garam Masala powder
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
3/4 cup Cilantro
1 sprig Curry leaves
Salt to taste
For the dough:
1.25 litres water
800 gms Rice flour
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1. Chop the onions, tomatoes, cilantro. Keep the ginger garlic paste ready.
2. Wash and cube the chicken breast into tiny pieces.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add the chopped onions and give a quick stir.
4. Add the slit green chillies and some torn curry leaves. Saute till tender.
5. Once onions are tender, add the turmeric and give a mix.
6. Now add the ginger garlic paste, chilli flakes, garam masala or Srilankan masala and pepper powder. Saute this until fried and color changes slightly.
7. Finally add the chicken, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Mix until well combined.
8. Add the tamarind paste and mix thoroughly, Cook till chicken is done and dry. Allow this filling to cool down a bit.
9. Boil water in a pot adding salt. Add the flour and mix vigorously combining all the flour. Switch off the stove immediately after adding the flour.
10. Knead into smooth and fine dough.
11. Make hoppers through string hopper maker. Spread the hopper in a medium sized plate into thin hoppers.
12. Spread the filling on one side. Fold from the other side.
13. Steam in a steamer for five minutes. The hopper should spring back when you touch for testing whether its done.